Day 3. Layers

Day three... I arrived to an empty class room, slowly children start storming in. It was a sunny day which called for outdoor play. All the kids seemed scattered all over the place today. I did not see the boy with the sketch book, nor did I see the 6 year old girl from the previous session. From the trio I had girl 1:the loud one and Girl 3 the one that really enjoyed our past interactions. Girl 2 was also absent.
5 boys, probably 8-12 years of age start approaching the table where I was sitting down. 
Curious- but cool- to cool for art?
No- apparently not, I caught their attention,and they wanted to give the giraffe a shot. They hesitated at first but got engaged into the project as I guided them step by step. They commented on how bad they were, but really wanted the others approval. I made sure they got the compliments/ encouragement they needed to keep on going with the activity. Girl 1 sat down and started, but today she was too restless causing interruptions among the group. 
The oldest boy seem to really enjoy himself, as he escaped into the art project tuning out all disruptions from the others in the room. He seemed confident and independent with the project and didn't ask for assistance. He would really be great to work with, seemed very open to learning. Girl 3 was also very engaged and completed her beautiful butterfly. 
The children was very restless that day and there was a lot of up and down from the seats. One boy got upset and destroyed his drawing by folding it in half he left the room, it wasn't the project that got him so worked up, it was a comment made by by girl 1 in the room.. However, he came back and I worked with him and we completed his giraffe. So did his two friends...
I was thinking to myself that there are so many layers to work through with these children and it is going to take time to work my way through them all.
On a positive note: I do love seeing how the children open to this art experience allow themselves to escape into the process of creating loosing track of time and surrounding. I hope they do find peace, contentment and comfort in this creative process..

HERE ARE THE ART WORK THAT WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON:

 

 
ART CLASSES FUNDED BY HEARTWORKS
@ RESTORATION
ROME...

Comments

Popular Posts