Day 4. Rule to follow

I added matting to the children's pattern design artwork and they looked fabulous. We will display them in the class room. In fact I think it would be fun to do an art show for the kids towards the end of the school year, followed with reception where the families could attend. It would be so rewarding for the children to show off their wonderful art work...

I arrived the building dodging the pouring rain. I walked through the hallway approaching the classroom. The 6 year old girl gave me a bright smile of excitement, as she grabbed one of the handle of the art bag to help me carry in all the art supplies. As I sat down the older boy, that I got to work with last week was present and ready to learn. Two younger siblings also sat down next to me.
Today we are going to learn about the Spanish artist, Pablo Picasso. I showed them some of Picasso's cubist portraits and went in details explaining today's art project. The younger siblings hesitated at first, but when they gave it a shot they gain confident. We had two YMCA volunteers today, whom had been working with the children for some time and seem to know them.
The 4 children created a cubist portrait following the step by step instructions given. I gave them the liberty to move on forward with the project on their own, which included painting in the shapes with bright color. But before I handed out the watercolors, I made sure they were aware of my ONE rule for this project. The rule was simple: Do not use the same color on shapes that are next to one another. The younger children normally struggle to follow this rule. They tend not identifying one shape from another. The oldest boy was very aware of the one rule and made sure to change color frequently. The 6 year old was very independent- maybe too independent that she closed herself from the learning experience.  Kids develop their own working habits at an early age. She seem to going against any advice or suggestions or rules. I don't think it had to do with age, but personality maybe. I let her do her thing ;)






       

Comments

Popular Posts